Mango Allergy – Symptoms, Tests and Treatments

Mangoes are probably the sweetest fruit in the world. The fruit is full of juice when it grows up and dons an excellent alluring color. Despite of the fact that mango allergy is quite rare but if you are suffering from it then you should consider yourself very unlucky. The fruit is  prohibited for them who have allergy to mango.

Mango has some useful nutrients, vitamins, fibers and other essential elements which are inevitable for body growth. It contains Vitamin A, B, C, magnesium, potassium, zinc etc. The peel of mangoes is responsible for the allergy in most occasions. The allergic reaction is not deadly, but the anaphylactic shock may occur in very few cases. This shock is deadly and a patient should come under the superintendence of a doctor as soon as possible if it happens. The patient will have sores on lips and mouth, itching, skin inflammation, delayed contact dermatitis around the mouth, flaky skin as initial symptoms.

The Urushiol chemical is responsible for triggering the allergic reaction. The mango allergy is discovered in lips as when you consume it this is the first organ which comes in contact with mango. It contacts with the skin almost immediately. So, wear gloves or thick clothes before peeling a mango. The skin dermatitis, inflammation, hives are some of the most common skin problems as a result of it.

What Causes Mango Allergy Among People?

The mango allergy reaction can start within 10 minutes after ingestion. The reasons behind this allergy are due to a poisonous chemical named urushiol. This chemical is found in the rind of mangoes. So if by any reason, you come in contact with the mango peel then you are going to suffer from this allergy. The chemical is responsible for ivy rash too. So, a person allergic to ivy or oak poison should be allergic to mangoes as well.

This chemical is found in larger amount among green mangoes and less in ripe one. The botanical family of mango is similar to some other fruits such as pistachio, cashew etc. The potential allergens in mangoes are found in fruits like pear, apple, carrot, paprika, peanut. Thus due to cross sensitivity issue, one can have similar symptoms either by handling or eating those fruits.

Mango Allergy Symptoms:

These are the general symptoms found usually in a patient who have allergy to mangoes. But you must be sure enough before taking any medicines. In that case, the best way is to visit a doctor and ask for a medical test.

  • Anaphylaxis (very rare)
  • Angioedema
  • Contact Dermatitis
  • Cough
  • Erythema
  • Hives
  • Itchy and flaky skin
  • Red skin
  • Skin inflammation
  • Swelling around lips and
  • Urticaria
  • Wheezing

Mango Allergy Tests:

The treatment for mango allergy should be taken right after detecting it properly. The reaction progressively becomes severe as time goes on. Remember that, this allergy is quite rare and there is a chance that the doctor is unaware about it. So, every possible test should be conducted before declaring it as mango allergy. The prick test, oral food challenge test and blood test are some of the most common tests to detect it.

But all the tests should be conducted at lab and a specialist doctor should supervise it cordially. While doing a prick test, the patient is asked to consume a slice of mango and the doctor will check whether there is any symptoms coming out after ingesting it. If the patient is hypersensitive and the condition goes worse, enough arrangement should present there in the lab to take some immediate action.

Treatment – Prevention and Medication:

But prevention is the best option to go with. As mango peel has the chemical which is responsible for mango allergies, thus attentions need to arise while peeling it to get rid of the mango skin rash. To prevent the chemical from coming in contact with hands, you can wear a thick gloves. The gloves do not let the chemical come in contact and helps to prevent mango skin allergy.

The fruit itself usually does not contain this chemical, but this is not decisive. Even after using these gloves by yourself or someone who has peeled the mangoes for you, if you are still feeling ill, then there is no alternative to avoid mango containing food from diet forever.

If you have already consumed mango intentionally or unknowingly then medication is the only way to go with. You should have the collection of antihistamine tablets in order to prevent such adverse reaction immediately.

The antihistamine usually starts working within 10 minutes. The cortisone cream will work as well. But it is always suggested to contact allergists before taking any medication. If anaphylaxis occurs, then one dose of epinephrine injection should be enough. But never try to do anything without the suggestion of an allergist.

Leave a Reply